Saturday, August 21, 2010

Squash muffins




For years I have made zucchini-Parmesan muffins, and I admit I always used commercial muffin mix. That ended this summer after I used the muffins from scratch recipe I found in Irma Rombauer's "Joy of Cooking", a great cookbook I ignored till this year. I find I turn to this book more and more. (I invite you to make Mrs. Rombauer's basic pancakes, and you will see why). Here is the recipe, with my addition of grated sauteed zucchini and yellow squash and Parmesan cheese.


1 3/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour

3/4 teaspoon of salt

1/4 cup sugar

2 teaspoons of baking powder

2 eggs

2-4 Tablespoons of melted butter

3/4 cup milk

1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

2 very small zucchini

2 very small yellow squash


Sift the dry ingredients. Set aside. In a skillet, saute the squash, which you have shredded with a hand grater or with the grater blade of a food processor, in either butter or olive oil. Add a touch of sea salt and saute the squash until it is softened and cooked through. Take off the heat and allow to cool a bit.

In a separate bowl from the dry ingredients, beat 2 eggs. Add the melted butter and the
milk. Then combine this mixture with the dry ingredients with what "Mrs Joy" describes as " a few swift strokes". Add the cooked squash and the cup of grated Parmesan and fold in. Fill your greased muffin pan 2/3 full. Bake 20-25 minutes in a pre-heated 400 degree oven.

Try putting apricot jam or guava preserves on these.

1 comment:

Out on the prairie said...

Joy was my 1st and still favorite cookbook.I have given a number away as gifts.When I 1st moved away from home I had 2 roomates and we put our initial next to the recipes we cooked, you had to try something new each time rotating cooks. We all turned out really good cooks.