Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Amazonia

Forget the NSA.

If you think someone is watching you-
If you hear footprints behind, you are not paranoid. You have just ordered or are thinking of ordering, or have just clicked on an ad from Amazon.com.

Amazon goes where you go, even into the archives of the New York Review of Books. I went there this morning to read an article about Robert Lowell, and every time I scrolled down up came an ad advertising a blue Le Crueset Dutch oven offered at a half price of $149.99.

I clicked on this ad a few days ago,curious about that deep discount. I was not, and am not in the market for another Dutch oven. I have two-one a doppleganger for the pan in the ad. But mine is a Martha Stewart that Miss Betty from work gave me for free because she was too frail to lift it out of her oven.

I would not be worried about this if Jeff Bezos wasn't considering sending out Amazon orders before customers actually ordered. Then, one innocent click of inquiry about a set of copper pans could end up robbing you of your rent money-

And Bezos is also thinking of sending your Amazon orders out via drone. Who will be liable when the drone drops the cookware on the windshield of a minivan full of toddlers? Or on your neighbor's new Escalade-

And apropos of this, I read somewhere on the Internet, and this morning, that drones are delivering six packs to thirsty ice fishermen up in the North country.

Think of it! Beer delivered to your deer blind up in the trees. That might spook the deer,but they were only an excuse anyway to get away with your buddies.

3 comments:

Out on the prairie said...

I had heard of this thought in jest, I order too much when I get going so refrain a lot. Might be hard to get out of the woods after a few drone deliveries.

Kay G. said...

I wonder if they start having those drone deliveries what state will be the first one to have someone to shoot one down from the sky? My guess, a redneck from Georgia!
Just saying!
Stay warm.

Bookhound said...

Wish you had a like button, as I liked this post a lot. Quite a lot of chortling at the thought of Amazon drones, and Dutch ovens dropped from great heights. TY!