Saturday, March 5, 2011

Beet Greens and Beans soup



I bought two bunches of beets for roasting ,for what are better than roasted cold beets in a salad with olives and Moro oranges? But the beets came with greens, which I cannot waste. And so I invented a simple soup of greens and cannellini beans.I cooked it in under a half hour. I remembered what an affinity beet greens have for butter and red vinegar, and I based my soup on this. And I added garlic as well, for to me garlic is a reflex, and not just another ingredient.

Greens and Beans Soup

2 garlic cloves, minced or crushed in a garlic press

15 oz can of good chicken broth

15 oz can of cannellini beans

Greens from two bunches of beets (3 beets to a bunch).I tear the greens off the fibrous red parts of the stems, and I admit discarding the bigger stems.

1-2 tbs. butter

1 tbs red vinegar

1/2 teas. sea salt, or more or less to your taste.


Put everyhing in a medium saucepan and cook over medium heat until the greens are cooked through. This should feed 2 or 3 people. French bread goes well with this.

1 comment:

Out on the prairie said...

I grew one beet variety that was just for the greens.I thin them and eat them raw in salads when small.