Monday, April 30, 2012

Miss Betsy's Experimental Kitchen - An Avocado and Hominy Frittata





This was yesterday's lunch. I needed something fast. But there was no can of tunafish. No slabs of bologna. There were only eggs.

And a left over 1/2 can of hominy. I decided to make an omelet.

Then halfway to Omeleteville, I took a detour, and diced up an avocado, placed it on my omelet and baked the dish for 8 minutes or so in a 400 degree oven until it was set. Oh the creamy nuttiness of a lightly baked avocado! Why didn't I think of this before-

Of course if I had used more than 3 eggs the frittata would have been puffier. But I liked its thinner crust. This recipe will feed two.


3 eggs
1-2 tbs Salsa Ranchero, depending on how picante you like things. I used canned salsa.
1/2 cup cooked hominy
Butter to coat saute pan
Adobo seasoning- a dash or two
3 tbs crema or sour cream
1 avocado, diced pieces seasoned with adobo seasoning.



Put the hominy, the crema, and the salsa in a mixing bowl, and whisk. Add Adobo seasoning to taste. Beat in the eggs. In an oven proof saute or omelet pan, melt some butter over medium high heat. When the butter begins to foam, add the mixture to the pan and rotate the pan to spread the eggs. Cook until the eggs begin to set, then place the diced avocado on top. Move the pan into a preheated 400 degree oven until the top has lightly browned and set This takes about 8 minutes, but watch carefully.


When the frittata has cooled slightly serve with salsa, tortillas, and sour cream.

No comments: