Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Okra and Butter Bean Stew with Creole Spices





I made this stew a few weeks ago using some leftover,tasty, and very meaty pole beans. But the pole beans have disappeared from the market, and this week I used butter beans instead.
When I first saw the beans at the market truck in the church parking lot I thought they were limas. An elderly, and well-heeled lady disabused me of this idea.
"Do you have any mo-ah of those butter beans?" she asked the vegetable girl,"Ah promised ma friend I would get her some-"

Since there were enough for everyone, I bought a small bag-full home and and added them to the stew. This dish improves by staying on the low burner overnight and allowing the okra to thicken it-


1 medium yellow onion, diced,flavored with sea salt and sauteed in butter to a golden brown

14 oz diced tomatoes,pureed in a blender.

1 cup butter beans

1-1 1/2 cup cut up okra.

4 small yellow potatoes,diced.

2 cloves of garlic,minced or pressed.

4-5 cups chicken or vegetable broth.

1/4 stick butter

2 heaping tablespoons of Creole mustard.

1/2 to 1 teaspoon or more of Creole seasoning to taste.( I use, and always will use Tony Chacherie's)

1 tablespoon of red vinegar.


After sauteeing the onion in a little of the butter, put everything else including the butter in a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and leave the pot alone for a few hours, or even better overnight. This allows the stew to develop more flavor and to thicken. This should feed 4 or 5 people-

1 comment:

Out on the prairie said...

I grew a Florida Speckled Lima that was an excellent heirloom soup bean.I have used Tony's seasoning for years, and laugh seeing in both my girls kitchens.I would love to eat some fried okra, yum.