Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Volunteer Lawn Mowers at the Park




With no enemy except the car, these deer herds multiply and prosper all over the Warner Parks, our golf courses and our suburbs. How they love clipped green lawns with succulent fresh grass shoots!

They are now as common as chipmunks, and much tamer. Today, a doe who seemed to be the group leader walked towards us after I took this picture. She was so purposeful I thought she was looking for a handout. Then she smelled my dogs, both short and hidden from her by the grass. She made a loud sound somewhere between a snort and a croak, and her band retreated. I had never heard a deer make an alarm call before. I always believed that the white tail flashing was enough-

3 comments:

troutbirder said...

Mmmm. I've had similar experience when I used to grouse hunt. A cross between a woof and a grunt is about it and off they go... :)

Sam said...

Pictured are more deer than I see in northern NH in an average year.

Unknown said...

Beautiful, naughty volunteers.
Costas