Saturday, September 29, 2012

Braising In The Oven Now- Oxtails- Later to be Broiled with a Mustard Crust






I found oxtails at the grocery a couple of days ago at 60 cents off a package( a Manager's Special). My favorite way to cook them, for they are the most succulent of beef dishes, is to open up my "Beef and Veal" volume of "The Good Cook", edited by Richard Olney.


I am braising the oxtails inside my Lodge cast iron pot. I have put the 1 1/2 pounds of meat onto a bed of 3 diced carrots and half a diced yellow onion. I have two cups of vegetable broth in the pan as well as 5 small garlic cloves and three slices of an orange. I also sprinkled in some sea salt. I will braise this at 300 degrees for a few hours, then will scoop out the tails, and coat them with brushed on Dijon mustard. Then I will roll them in Panko crumbs and brown them under the broiler.

The strained onion and carrots will be a side, as will my garlic and rosemary roasted potatoes.


* The orange slices are my addition. I will post a photo of the Mustard coated oxtails when they are done-



No comments: