Friday, March 5, 2010

Roasted Golden Beets with Cumin





I thought beets and cumin might be happy together, and I was right. I had three golden beets the size of softballs that I bought at Whole Foods a week ago. I used their greens in a bean and garlic soup, then peeled the beetroots and sliced them into rounds. I put them in a bowl, then added olive oil and tossed the beets in it until they were coated. I added a teaspoon of sea salt and a 2 teaspoons of cumin and tossed the beets again. I put foil down in a 9x9 Pyrex baking dish and layered the beet slices. I put another piece of foil over the beets , and tucked them in. I roasted them for 90 minutes at 375 degrees. As the photo shows, some browned and caramelized. This was all to the good, though I would advise vigilance in the last 30 minutes to make sure the beets do not turn to charcoal. This would be a side dish for grilled lamb chops or roast chicken.

No comments: