Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Roast Goat Experiment


I have wanted to roast goat meat ever since I watched one of Keith Famie's Adventures on the Food Network. Famie was in Greece, and he visited the cookbook writer Diane Kochilas's restaurant on Ikaria. Kochilas fed him wild Ikarian goat. Just writing this makes me sad to see how far the Food Network has fallen, for I find nothing on it now worth watching. Famie's show was intriguing and evocative. One could almost smell the goat, the wild herbs, the air from the sea-

I only lately discovered goat meat at the Ethnic Market. It came in small pieces with bone attached, and today, after browning it in olive oil, I wrapped it in foil along with thinly sliced purple potatoes which I had coated with more olive oil and sea salt. I threw in some whole garlic cloves as well, and baked the goat one hour at 300 degrees.

The goat meat gave a wonderful flavor to the garlic and the potatoes. And the meat nearest to the bones was tender and delicious. But alas, most of it was the texture of an elastic band, albeit a tasty elastic band that would have to be spit out. I think I made a mistake roasting it instead of braising it, or perhaps this was an old goat or a very athletic and lean young goat. I still have pieces frozen in the freezer. I can try again. Now my dilemma is whether to give the goat to the beagle or to the porch possums. Since I must work tonight I think it best not to challenge the dog's digestive organs when I am not at home. Lucky possums!

1 comment:

Out on the prairie said...

Less than 100 days old like lamb is tender, but there must be some tricks after that.