Monday, July 4, 2011

Roasted Potatoes with Garlic and Rosemary



This is one of my favorite vegetable dishes. It is easy to make, economical, and bathed in garlic and olive oil, which is always a wonderful thing. I cooked it last evening. I planned to have roast lamb or lamb chops with it until a trip to the Publix meat counter disabused me of that idea. The lamb chops were 18 dollars for a small package. Th lamb legs were haunches. The biggest was 45 dollars. The smallest 21 dollars. Instead I browned, then roasted the duck legs I brought home from K&S World Market for $4.50.

I peeled, then sliced ,five medium Yukon gold potatoes. I put them in a bowl, doused them with olive oil. then added a generous amount of sea salt. Then I tossed them with my fingers to coat them. Then I layered them in a round pie pan. I cut several rounds in half and lined the edges of the pan with them, as though they were a crust. With each layer I tossed on some sliced garlic and some diced fresh rosemary leaves. Then- one last sprinkling of sea salt. At 375 degrees they take about 45 to 55 minutes to roast, soften , and brown.

In winter I often add diced pancetta, but this was a summer evening, and the duck was rich enough. This would go with steaks or even with hamburgers, and I think even children and teenagers would like it.

No comments: