Friday, June 15, 2012

Day 3- The Last of the Orzo- Pasta in Brodo





My three favorite cuisines are Mediterranean, Mexican, and Maritime (by which I mean seafood and coastal cooking). This recipe is Italian in spirit.


Having cooked a pound of orzo pasta, I still had some left over after using it in a cold salad and paired with shrimp. I made soup with it today in under 30 minutes. The longest time was spent sauteing a diced yellow onion in olive oil. I used 1 1/2 cups of leftover orzo, 2 cups of water, 1 chicken bouillon cube, 2 cloves of garlic(diced or pressed) and some fresh basil, fresh marjoram, and oregano. I used a little salt when I sauteed the onion, but I was careful since chicken bouillon is saltier than plain chicken broth . This was a very filling soup.


Chicken broth or vegetable broth can be used instead of bouillon cubes.


1 comment:

Out on the prairie said...

I have never cooked pasta ahead like this, I am hesitant with leftovers.I know a lot of restruants cook it ahead.

siondyn545
43fdustru