Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Goodbye Cable

My black cable converter box is sitting in the foyer, ready to go back to Comcast. The last bill did it- $165.00 . If I save that every month I can afford a trip to the Pirate's Cove Cottages in Cedar Key. I can walk into town and buy a muffin and smell the oyster mud and watch the roseate spoonbills on the mudflats near the bridge. I can walk out toward the airstrip and meet ladies who live on the canal and offer me cuttings of plants I admire. I can drive out to Robinson's and buy shrimp. I can go to the Shellmounds and see the Zebra Longtail butterfly and the lobelias on the road verge. And Reelfoot- I could go there too, and walk the levees and see the Mississippi Kites and the otters and abandoned old roses that still bloom along the bar ditches.

I will miss HBO. I will miss Bill Maher. But not as much as I miss Fairhope Alabama, and Cedar Key, Florida. Reelfoot Lake, and drives down the Natchez Trace to Vicksburg and Natchez.

Cutting cable was a good decision.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just did the same thing, I figured we were paying over $100 per month to watch two channels. I think Bill Maher is an intolerable A@#, but I'm with you on the rest.