Friday, April 16, 2010

Plectranthus "Mona Lavender"



I bought this last spring. The hummingbirds came to it, and it was worth over-wintering. It liked the south window, though it did not bloom there, and even when the double impatiens next to it attracted white flies, this plant stayed clean and healthy. I have cuttings in potting soil sitting inside quart ziplock bags. I am also trying to root it in water, for this has worked for me with plectranthus species before. I gave my friend Sharon Rose several cuttings. Sharon, who once tried to grow tomato plants on her roof hoping they would get sun, lives on a wooded hillside. I hope this plant does well for her. I had it in shade last summer, and it never seemed upset about it.

This plant was hybridized at the Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens in Cape Town.

No comments: