Thursday, April 1, 2010

Green Eggs and Ham




Yesterday I had a dozen spears of leftover roasted asparagus. I wanted to puree it, but some of the stalks were fibrous, even after roasting. I tried pureeing it through my ricer, but this was a naive move. The asparagus refused to yield. I put it in the food processor, and the asparagus won again. Now I had mini-chunks of stringy fiber. I had relied too much on technology. I pulled my antique conical food mill down. This worked, but so would a regular food mill.

I had planned on asparagus soup. I changed my mind. I stirred my 1/4 cup of puree into a bowl with two eggs. I cooked scrambled eggs instead. I put some Serrano ham on a slice of toast, and dressed it with a dollop of mustard. I cut up a mango as well. And there was breakfast- Green Eggs and Ham. A whimsical husband might enjoy this. A literate child who knows Dr. Seuss. Having neither husband or child I ate it myself ,and the beagle licked the plate.

1 comment:

troutbirder said...

One of my favorite book to read to the kids. And favorite veggie too!