Monday, May 24, 2010

Too simple to be obvious




These are home-made tortilla chips fried in a small Salton deep fat fryer. I cut flour tortillas into triangles, and fried them in batches using canola oil. They are so superior to anything that comes from a bag. They are not salty, but have a lovely, nutty crunchiness. I made them to go with a pot of black bean soup I made yesterday. I think a small fryer is a good investment. Frying in a pan means smoke and spatter and even humiliation at setting off the smoke alarm. I have as many useless kitchen appliances as anyone else, but the fryer is not one of them. I dredged some oysters in House Avery breading and fried them this weekend. I made an oyster Po Boy sandwich with the leftovers. Impossible without the fryer. And the tortilla chips used a minimum of canola. No need to fill up the fryer with lots of oil.

1 comment:

troutbirder said...

I got to distracted and missed some of your posts on your neat blog. Let me catch up. I love exotic recipes. Ok I love to eat! :) As to the bog I will be heading up to northern Minn. in June. Mosquitoes allowing maybe I will get some pics of our state flower - the showy pink lady slipper. It is though, kind of a sad topic for me because I grew them (it tricky) for years and then lost them for several reasons when we moved into our new house. Maybe I'll write that story up sometime. Summer camp also could be written about as in the fifties I attended Frontenac Methodist youth camp on the Mississippi. Those were the days.....
troutbirder