Sunday, June 6, 2010

Found at McKay Used Books







I admit to being a culinary dilettante. Like Auntie Mame ,I flit from enthusiasm to enthusiasm- Cuban cooking, Latin American food, the cuisines of the Caribbean- Not to mention the food and interior design of Mexico. I found these books the other evening at McKay. "Casa Mexicana", published in the eighties, cost me 2 dollars. It features Frida Kahlo's house as well as the artist Jose' Luis Cueves's home. So colorful and exuberant. Qualities needed in hot climates where tasteful mauves and pinks and whites fade to insignificance.

"Carribean Cooking for Pleasure" is vintage. It was published in 1970. The Sugar Reef Cookbook was published in 1989, and as anyone can see from the cover, at the end of the Big Hair era (on both men and women!).

The one disappointment of my trip to McKay was walking away from "Savannah Cooking". They wanted 17.50 for it. I try never to pay more than six dollars. On the other hand, and having nothing to do with cooking, I did find "Ladies of the Grand Tour" by Brian Dolan, a book about adventurous Englishwomen out to see the Continent and the world. Since I am going nowhere other than to work and back this summer, I think I will go with them. Auntie Mame would.

No comments: