Saturday, June 19, 2010

Lions and Tigers and Bears-



This photo is of an alligator at Point Mallard. Point Mallard is in Alabama. Northern Alabama. In Decatur. 30 miles south of the Tennessee border. 110 miles from Nashville, and two hours away. I thought the nearest alligators lived below the Spanish Moss line south of Montgomery, but I have been disabused of that idea. The Feds introduced alligators into the Wheeler Wildlife Refuge to control beavers. Now people are running over them and calling the cops to drag them out of farm ponds. The alligators have been there for years, but I never knew it. I have walked around Wheeler looking at the sandhill cranes. I wish the refuge people had put up a sign. How long before the gators are at Williamsport Lakes? Radnor Lake?

And the scariest thought of all- as they move north will they drag the Gnat Line along with them? At least you can see the alligators.

No comments: