Tuesday, June 8, 2010

We might as well be dead!

I just discovered AOL Radio on my computer, and I have been listening to their Salsa, Jazz, and Cuban music. This morning when I turned it on, AOL popped up and asked if I would take a survey. I usually say "no". But today I thought "Why Not?"

Where, they asked,do I live? Why the US, of course. Home of Super Consumers.

Was I Male or Female? Female. And everyone knows how much women love shopping-

How old was I? 60. A boomer.

I advanced to the next screen.

Which never came.

"We are sorry" said AOL, "But the information you have provided is not what we are looking for in this survey".

Well, it could not have been the United States part. Or the female part.

60. Ah yes. In the demographics of marketers, all I was good for was denture cream. Or a pre-ordered casket.

Everyone knows old people don't buy things. They are too busy golfing at Hilton Head, or driving 200 thousand dollar Winnebagos that get 2 miles to the gallon. Everyone knows old people are afraid of computers and don't know how to get on the Internet. It is marvelous that I am typing this at all-

Perhaps I should start looking at saving money for cremation. Think of that, AOL. You could add a Funeral Music Channel to get us seniors in the mood. After all, your market research proves we might as well be dead!

3 comments:

Clementine Moonflower said...

In surveys I'm always 22 because of that same reason :-)

Diary From Africa said...

Thanks so much for visiting my blog all the way over in Africa, nice to 'meet' you & to find your blog, too :)
Bye for now
Lynda, Kilimanjaro, East Africa

troutbirder said...

Oh my! I love it. Whimsey mixed with a little pique is my favorite kind of humor. Just great. :)