Wednesday, January 12, 2011

At the Bookstore

Note: I wrote this after a visit to Davis-Kidd Booksellers here in Nashville. This bookstore, plagued by a bad location in a snooty mall with awful parking, by e-books, and Amazon.com., closed in December. I dug out this old bit of doggerel after reading that romance novels are among the most popular e-books.


At the Bookstore


Should we pity

The Un-Pretty?

The nervous prey of sad crushes

Of infatuations beyond their means.

They creep through the romance paperback aisles-

Until they see-

Startle! In surprise! At who

Beside them standing buys:

All the Pretty.

Disappointed.

1 comment:

Out on the prairie said...

I have been amazed who likes this read, but to each their own.Many are written from a outline given to a ghost writer or writers and signed by the same name.I go in moods, this time of year I may get into a detective novel or stick to what others have given me, plus I take a number of magazines.I have a favorite librarian who tells me some good ones just out.Lovely verse, I have been reading Mary Oliver.Wait, maybe I can write some romance, out on the prairie.