Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A New Year



Our sky this morning was painted by Magritte- a painterly start to a day of benign weather. Cool, but not cold, with safe, dry roads to get me to work tonight- This afternoon I will take the dogs to the park, and we will count our blessings.

It has been a year since I began this blog, and I see that a year can be an eternity in Blogdom. I have been surprised to see how many sites I read are folding their tents and stealing away. Their authors have no time. They are moving on. They have other projects. That is what they say in their farewells. Who has not thought from time to time that their efforts were pointless and minor. Unappreciated. Unread. All of us I would guess. One of my best friends told me recently she had not looked at my blog in months.

That gave me pause. If one's friends are indifferent, what is the point? Yet- another friend is my cheerleader, and she urges me on.

And onward I will go. I will finish "The Annals of Nursing" this year. I will write " Before Ivan", a memoir of time spent in Coastal Alabama, in the spring before Hurricane Ivan- the disaster that presaged Katrina and Deepwater Horizon. There will be recipes, and and an essay on Estate sales, and on the wearing of hats. And memoirs of time spent on Cedar Key and points west along the Gulf Coast. I will tell you about Shell Mounds at the Suwanee National Wildlife Refuge, and of the Zebra Long wings that live there. And once again excerpts-. from a work of fiction I want to finish. More poems.

Yet having said this I must caution that good writing takes time. Thoughts and ideas incubate. They cannot be written daily. They wait for their moment. Photos, ruminations, recipes and what I saw today are for every day. More thoughtful pieces require waiting.

Happy New Year to All!

No comments: