Thursday, November 24, 2011

Holiday Red Cabbage and Turnips


A while back I posted a shredded cabbage recipe from "Four Great Southern Cooks". The recipe came from Beatrice Mize, who cooked at the Dew Drop Inn in Georgia and later in private Atlanta homes. Mrs Mize was half black and half Cherokee Indian, and she had a way with vegetables. I had never cooked shredded cabbage before Mrs Mize showed me how.

Now , I have created my own recipe by combining cabbage with shredded turnip. This is a creamy and tasty side dish, and it is the second time I have added orange juice to a recipe . (Last week I added it to creamed chicken livers, with happy results).


Here are the ingredients :


1/2 head of red cabbage, shredded by the julienne disc of a food processor.

3 small turnips shredded by the processor.

1 tbs red vinegar or cider vinegar

All the juice squeezed out from a large orange

1/2 stick of butter

1 cup of chicken broth or chicken bouillon

Sea salt, 1 teaspoon, or add more to taste

1/2 to 3/4 cup of heavy cream.

1 to 2 tbs olive oil



Melt 1/4 stick of butter in a twelve inch saute pan. Add the olive oil, then the vegetables and toss them with the oil-butter mixture to coat them. Season generously with the sea salt. Heat over medium for five minutes , stirring the mixture. Now add the rest of the butter, the broth, the vinegar, and the orange juice. Taste, and add more sea salt as desired. Reduce heat, cover the pan and cook for 15 to 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Then add the heavy cream. Sir in and heat through, and it is ready to serve.

I paired this with corned beef and hot buttered egg noodles. It would go well with any holiday roast. I think this recipe would serve four to six.

1 comment:

Beverly@Beverly's Back Porch said...

I making a pork roast over the week end and I'm certainly making this. I love turnips and cabbage. Thanks