Sunday, December 11, 2011

Gingerbread Coffee Cake



Being a nobody, homebody cook with no professional pride to get in the way, I find myself free to use conveniences that might embarrass someone more serious. I am not too good to open a can or twist off a top. I will use a mix if I want to. I used a box of Betty Crocker Gingerbread mix to make this.

I work 12 hour night shifts in a difficult profession. I wake up tired, and go to work tired. On my days off- I cook, for it is my hobby, but there is no way for me to manufacture time. Last night I wanted to make a coffee cake, but having had only 8 hours sleep in 3 days, my ambitions were low. I pulled down a box of gingerbread mix, added 3 eggs instead of 1, 1 1/4 cups of water, added 1/4 cup of ginger preserves, and the juice of one half orange, mixed it well, and baked it. I glazed it with the juice from the other half of the orange mixed with more ginger preserves.


This cake is like a gingerbread brownie pudding cake. It is dense, but moist, with little nuggets of ginger. I poured heavy cream over my first slice, but whipped cream would be good too.


I baked this in a 9 inch nonstick cake pan. 350 degrees. 35 minutes.

1 comment:

Beverly@Beverly's Back Porch said...

Do you know how much money Betty Crocker and others have spent making our life easier! My pride does not get in the way of a little help where ever I can get it. This sounds wonderful!