Friday, December 16, 2011

A Lucky Day at McKay's Books




Today, at McKay's Used Books ,I found a collectible copy of the Bible of Puerto Rican cooking. It is "Puerto Rican Cookery" by Carmen Aboy Valldejui, published in 1977. I paid $4.00 for it. I also found "Cross Creek Kitchens", a cookbook written by Sally Morrison, a park ranger and once curator of the Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings home in Cross Creek ,Florida. I paid $3.00 for it.

Bargains both, and just the sort of vintage cookery books I look for at McKay's. Books from old libraries, old estates- books sold for a fraction of their worth. Of course one can find plenty of Emeril and Jamie Oliver and Paula Deen at McKay's but I will leave those to others. Give me the "America Heritage Cookbook" in its two volumes. One devoted to an illustrated history of American foodways, the other filled with recipes and menus. It was published in 1964. I paid three dollars for the set this morning.

Three dollars. Happy the city that has a McKay's!



* For those unfamiliar with McKay's- it is a book store where people bring their unwanted or superfluous books for sale or trade. McKay's has no idea what books it has ,or where they are shelved. Luck plays a big part in shopping there.

Luck was with me today.

No comments: