Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Biscuits

I woke this morning realizing that some may not have heard about NYC's Mayor Bloomberg announcing a war on salt. He wants New York restaurants to cut back on salt in what they cook. It is my feeling that this is none of his business. Surely the Mayor of the town I was born in can find more pressing problems that need his attention. Anyway- the biscuits I made last night would really have upset His Honor- The recipe was from Craig Claiborne's Southern Cooking, and it called for LARD! The biscuits were delicious. I cut them out with biscuit cutters I bought at an estate sale last month. They are the round shiny things with handles in my photo of the biscuits and the LARD. A woman I worked with once told me she did not think she could live with the humiliation of going through a supermarket checkout with a can of lard. I felt no such shame. But then again the only reason I stop in front of the "Healthy Cooking" section at McKays is to see if a stocker has shelved any volumes of Richard Olney's The Good Cook there by mistake.

No comments: