Friday, January 22, 2010

Caveat emptor

I am 13 bucks poorer today from 2 nights of dining in the Cafetorium across Church Street. A victim of anomie and apathy, I ignored the brown bag and took my chances. I will have to say that 3 of the 6 dollars I spent that night were not wasted. The breakfast bar was open that night, and only rarely have I found its food infected by excessive spice. I had a puffy buttermilk biscuit covered with gravy, a 3 inch sausage patty, and wonder of wonders- Tater Tots, which are even more beloved than barbecue. I am not being ironic here. I am too much of a food snob to ever be seen dragging Tater Tots out of Publix in my canvas sack- Yet I cannot resist them. Crunchy, savory, salty. I could write an Ode To Tater Tots, and I probably will. There are never enough, and they sell out early. At the Other Big Hospital I once worked at there were people who only went to the cafeteria when the cook broke out the Tots.

I am embarassed to say I wanted more food, but I saw some gorgeous cold spaghetti at the salad bar. Perfect to go with my super mango flavored vitamin drink and the Tots. 15 minutes later I threw the pasta in the trash before it could melt my esophagus. The Pepper Pusher had now infiltrated the salad bar.

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to re-eat it, and I wasted 7 bucks doing it. The chicken pot pie looked so good- It was covered by a nice crust of yellow cornbread that was edible. But this was a stealth attack- The Chicken and carrots below were saturated with pepper, coated with it. Marinated in it.

I would swear off the Cafetorium forever except for this- What if they have a fry basket of Tots?

2 comments:

troutbirder said...

Good luck with your new blog!

BRIANNAN SPRAGUE said...

Your dogs wrote a post, in case you didn't know:)