Monday, January 11, 2010

The corn puff

The preceding photo is of a corn puff, a dish of my own creation. It was not inspired by a book or a recipe , but by an 8.75 oz can of corn I found in my cupboard. What do do with it? I imagined eggs. 2 eggs. A quarter cup of half and half. A teaspoon of sea salt. 4 tablespoons of melted Cajun Finishing Butter that I bought at Publix. I tossed all the forementioned into a bowl, mixed it up with a fork, then poured it into this little brown casserole dish-with-a-handle. I did not butter the dish. I cooked this in a 400 degree oven until the top was golden and a skewer I stuck in the puff came out clean. I believe this took about 20 minutes. The puff did not disappoint. I feared it might have souffle-ish tendencies and that it might collapse, but this did not happen. It was most tasty. Proof that with the right principles one can get away from always going by the book.

The small brown casserole I used was a second-hand shop treasure bought for a few bucks at Buried Treasures out on Highway 100 in Fairview Tennessee. I have found everything from a vintage swing coat to an antique food mill there. I prefer a second hand kitchen where nothing matches and everything is unique. See the pink Hall pottery bowls in the next photo!

No comments: