Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Old roses

The most durable roses I ever grew in my Nashville garden were the old shrub roses.Modern shrub roses such as the "Knockout" roses have taken their place now, for they are more disease resistant and are ever-blooming. Yet I do not think they can compare with the way too transient beauty of the resplendent old roses with their elegant French names. Here is a poem I wrote a few years back about my old roses-


Mme. Isaac Pereire Meets Zephirine Drouhin



Wives of bankers-

Courtesans. The notorious

Women of Paris.

Everywhere- this festival of gowns.

Double carmine. Half double. Quartered

In one fine moment of absolute crinoline

Before the mildew and blackspot

When they are only once, in spring.

And if Degas with his brush stood here

He would see my carnival

While the sightless- so many-

Would see only roses.


poem written by Elizabeth Sprague

No comments: