Thursday, August 4, 2011

"It's the Economy Stupid " Soup

Whether you are sick from Sinusitis and a sore throat, or because the Dow-Jones dropped 500 points today, this soup will soothe your tonsils and teach you how to start to eat cheap. Beans and ramen noodles are in our future. I must say I always use canned beans. Soup should not take two days to make. I have not the patience for dried beans, though if I wish to avoid starvation I may have to start cooking lentils. By next year we may all be eating acorns. And tree roots.

This easy soup was made with canned chickpeas.

1 15 oz can chickpeas

1 15 oz can chicken broth.

Sea salt to taste

1 small yellow or white onion

Olive oil

Garlic powder to taste-just a few shakes of the little spice bottle

A dash of Herbes de Provence. And cumin- a half teaspoon or more to taste.


The onion always comes first. I cut it to bits in the bowl of my food processor, then sauteed it in 2 tbs of olive oil till it was soft and golden. Remember to add a little sea salt to sweat the onion a bit. Then open the chickpeas, drain them, and puree them in the food processor. Put the peas, the broth, and the onion in a sauce pan. Add the seasonings and taste, taste, taste. Heat through and serve. This is about 3 servings.


I doubt children would eat this since it resembles nothing they have had from McDonalds. But young adults, the middle-aged, and the old will all be looking for adventurous ways to cook cheap.

1 comment:

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

It looks delcious!'I make a similar style soup using canned chick peas :) We love the tastee of chick peas in mnay recipes.