Thursday, August 4, 2011

Thoughts on the Cooking Channels.

It is a mystery why the Cooking Channel shows Sara Moulton and Mario Batali in the hours before the rooster wakes up. And alas, these shows are old reruns. But I think they are still far better than anything new on Food TV or the Cooking channel. Watch Mario Batali and you will learn how to cook. And I am glad I saw Moulton's show on tips from chefs. I learned that if one thaws jumbo shrimp, peels them, covers them with water, and adds a tablespoon of kosher salt and a tablespoon of sugar, then puts them in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour, the shrimp will firm up and have a fine taste. A much better taste than if they just went into the pan untreated. This is useful information. I wish all cooking shows were this good-

No comments: