Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Sweet Potato Crabcakes


Last winter I made James Beard's Piquant Crab Salad with Cabbage. It is in his "American Cookery". I took it in to a potluck at work, but there was so much of it, that some came back home. The next day I added eggs and panko crumbs along with some Remoulade sauce. I made crabcakes with cabbage, and it was delicious.

Last month I tried the recipe again, but this time used sweet potatoes instead of cabbage, I put the peeled potatoes through the grater blade of my food processor, then I cooked them in butter until they were soft.
Then I added a little Creole seasoning.Then I combined the the 2 cups of sweet potatoes to 8 ounces of lump crabmeat. In went 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise and 1/4 cup of Panko crumbs. Now is the time to check the seasoning. Then add the egg. Mix everything well and shape into 4 or 5 cakes. Cook 25 to 30 minutes at 350. How good this would be with sliced homegrown tomatoes or cucumbers!

And how long will it be until I substitute Zucchini or yellow squash for the sweet potato? Not long, for I think they would be just as tasty.

Ingredients:

Butter to saute the sweet potatoes. About 1/2 stick

2 cups of cooked sweet potatoes.

1 egg

1/4 cup panko crumbs

Creole seasoning to taste- This could be optional

2 tbs mayonnaise

8 oz lump crabmeat

No comments: