Sunday, March 25, 2012

Turnip Slaw



One day last week-a warm, summery day that felt like hot dogs and mustard and fireworks and July, I came back out from my job at the clinic into what the men Inside call the Free World ,and wished I had a charcoal grill to fire up.

But I live by my landlords' rules, and that means no flames. I heated my Cheesy Hot Dogs in the microwave.

I needed a side dish, so I shredded 3 turnips in the food processor, and sauteed them in butter with a little sea salt and cream. They were good, but when they mingled in the mouth with mustard and cheese, they were better.

And that is how I created Turnip Slaw, and its baked relative, Turnip Gratin with mustard, cream, butter, and grated Jarlsberg.


To make the slaw, shred three soft ball sized turnips with your food processor's julienne blade. Then toss the turnips with one to 1 1/2 cups of grated Swiss cheese, a quarter cup of sour cream or Mexican crema, 3 or 4 heaping teaspoons of a Dijon type mustard, and a few tablespoons of melted butter. No added salt is needed. I also added a handful of diced up mini-gherkins. One could also add grated carrot, I suppose.

This is a nice hot weather lunch dish. I ate it today along with Eggplant Parmesan, and sliced Blood Oranges tossed with Olives.

Here is what the Gratin looked like, but that recipe is for another day-


1 comment:

Out on the prairie said...

It looks nice, there is a fellow here who plants turnips after he picks his corn, and lets anyone pick them.