Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Cream of Lady Pea Soup



The Johnny Howell Farm Truck has Lady Peas again this summer at the Davidson Road Methodist Church in West Meade.(They are there Tuesdays and Fridays from 2pm to 6pm).

I wrote a post last summer about them in which I called them "The Truffle of the South". I stand by it!

I bought a pound yesterday. I decided to cook them in broth till tender and then to puree them to see if they would make a summer soup that would be good hot or cold. I expected the soup to be similar in texture to Split Pea Soup, as indeed it was. I expected to add some heavy cream, perhaps half a cup, But when that time came, cream seemed too obvious, and I went off in a different direction-



Canola oil. Several tbs to saute the onion, with 1 heaping tablespoon of bacon dripping added.

1 white or yellow onion, diced and sauteed till golden in Canola oil. Add a little sea or kosher salt to sweat the onions-

1 pound of Lady Peas

3 cups of chicken stock or broth. (I use Orrington Farms Broth Base and Seasoning, which I reconstitute with hot water).

1/2 cup buttermilk (Use liquid measuring)

1/2 to 1 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning, or more if you want more heat.

Saute the diced onion in canola oil over medium heat till it turns golden. Then add the Lady Peas and 2 cups of the chicken broth.Add the Cajun seasoning and salt to taste. Cover the pan and cook on medium heat until the peas are tender.

Now put the peas and broth in a blender and puree. Then pour back into the saute pan and add the third cup of chicken broth and the buttermilk.

Serve with croutons. Wonderful hot or cold, but please note that on the second day any leftover soup may have thickened and may need some water added before serving.

*Note- There are many kinds of Southern Field Peas, and I would think some might be substituted for the Lady Peas. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

No comments: