Monday, June 17, 2013

The Tee-Tiny Experimental Kitchen-Potato Salad with Pickles, Peaches, and Diced Ham



It is a happy day in summer when Johnnie Howell's farm truck comes on Tuesdays and Fridays to the Davidson Road Methodist Church parking lot. Now we shall have Southern peaches. Lady peas. Blackberries, and those gnarly medium -sized red potatoes one can boil right in their jackets.

And having boiled them, we can turn them into potato salad.

I have been thinking about adding diced honey ham to potato salad for a while. Last night I did it. And then I thought how good a nice kosher dill pickle spear tastes with a grilled ham and cheese sandwich. So I added diced up pickles to the salad.

Ham loves fruit too, so why not add some. I diced up a slightly under ripe large peach and added that as well. Had I had a can of diced pineapple I might have added that instead.

Onion was necessary, but I had to be careful. Nothing ruins a potato salad like the over addition of an aggressive onion. I added a heaping tablespoon of finely diced purple onion, and that was enough.


The Recipe


5-6 medium sized red potatoes, unpeeled, cut into one inch chunks and boiled in their jackets in lightly salted water until tender.

2 Kosher dill pickle spears, diced into smallish pieces

1 heaping tablespoon of red onion, finely diced

1 large peach, its flesh diced. Add another peach if you like-

1 cup mayonnaise

1 heaping tablespoon of Dijon mustard

1 cup diced up Honey Ham

Several shakes of Creole seasoning-optional


Drain the potatoes, then add everything else and mix well. If you like spicy, add a shake or two of Creole seasoning. I, as always, use Tony Cachere's.

This should feed 3 or 4 people. I made this last night, and it is almost gone. Every time I walk by the refrigerator I eat some more.

No comments: